A school's Governing Board is a body established according to the Education Act. It is composed of the principal, vice-principals, parents, teachers, and representatives of non-teaching professionals and support staff, as well as community representatives. All decisions made by the governing board must be in the interest of the school. the students, the parents the school staff and the community. All committee members work in partnership to ensure that every student receives the best possible learning opportunity.
The Governing Board at Laval Junior Academy is comprised of:
- 8 Parents (Voting)
- 8 Staff (Voting)
- Principal and Vice-Principals (Non-Voting )
- 2 Members from the Community (Non-Voting)
- There may also be up to 2 substitute parent members who may be called upon to replace regular parent members who are absent from meetings of the governing board.
Parent members are elected at the Annual General Meeting which is held at the school prior to September 30 of each school year.
Topics that the Governing Board will address typically include:
- School’s educational project
- Standards and procedures for student evaluation
- Anti-Bullying and Anti-Violence Plan
- Services provided by the school, e.g.:
- Rental and use of premises
- Activities such as fundraisers, extracurricular activities, and field trips
- Allocation of any funds raised through a school activity
- Curriculum - Subject time allocation
- School’s annual budget
|Giuseppe (Pino) Alberga||Vice-Chairperson / Treasurer|
Secretary / Alternate Parent Delegate to the SWLSB Parents Committee
|Evan Goudis||Parent Delegate to the SWLSB Parents Committee|
|Angela Lucia||Substitute Member|
Student Representatives (non-voting)
Support Staff Represntative
|Betty Aliftiras||Student Supervisor|
Professional Staff Representative
|Dominic Di Stefano||Spiritual Animator|
|Charles Chagnon||Vice Principal - Sec. firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sunday Skoufaras||Vice Principal - Sec. email@example.com|
Governing Board meetings are held at LJA in the Library.
Everyone is welcome!
Meeting Dates 2020-2021
November 17, 2020
October 7, 2020
September 8, 2020 - General Assembly of Parents (Virtual)
Governing Board Minutes
Minutes for 2020-2021
Minutes for 2019-2020